Brett Talley's Reviews > The Devil of Echo Lake

The Devil of Echo Lake by Douglas Wynne

Nov 27, 12

This book deserves to be a horror classic, in my view. The Devil of Echo Lake takes the story of Robert Johnson and the crossroads and infuses new, 21st century life into it.

Billy Moon is a rock star in search of a transcendent record. He comes to Echo Lake to pursue that goal, led by a producer who might be the personification of Satan himself. But there’s more than meets the eye to the idyllic lake in the forest, and something may haunt the studio that once was an abandoned church . . .

This book is really terrific. It's woven together from several different threads, each of which tells a compelling and enjoyable story. The characters are well-realized and far more complex than we expect from the genre (for better or worse), and I admit to being surprised by the ending.

I highly recommend The Devil of Echo Lake. It is a breath of fresh air, and a wonderful debut by an up and coming writer. I look forward to seeing much more from him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil of Echo Lake.