Eyehavenofilter 's Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Aug 18, 12

bookshelves: arc, impossible-young-love
Read in August, 2012

When you've studied R&J 3 years in a row, having to attend 3 different high schools, through no fault of your own, you get to look at the story quite closely. Shakespeare is very clear in the beginning of this tale, it is one of heartbreak and sadness. But as stories often go, we are not entering into this in the beginning, we are only entering into the story when Juliet enters.
We knew nothing of the relationship of Romeo(Rob) and his lady love Rosaline.
This tells us the prequel if you will, of that love story, just starting, just budding. It also tells us the realationship of the cousins, Roseline, and her incredibly spoiled cousin Juliet who always seems to get what she wants, especially if it belongs to Rosaline first.
Rod and Roseline seem to be on the cusp of a sweet innocent romance, coy looks, knees touching in the bleachers type of thing. Rob is the popular boy in school, but he definitely has a thing for Rosaline,theyve known each other for years. He's been away for the summer, and now he's back. All he can think of is how much he has missed her. They plan to meet at the weekend party. Everyone is rooting for them, they make the perfect couple.
Then the Capilets move back into to town. A powerful, rich family with a beautiful daughter, named Juliet that just happens to be Rosaline's cousin, and nemesis. She still hasn't forgiven Juliet for decapitating her treasured Barbie doll a decade ago, or for all the other terrible things she's done to make Rosalines life miserable, let's face it Juliet is a psycho.
So when the cousins meet again they are told to make nicey nice and Rosaline is to introduce Juliet around and give her the skinny on what going on. This she does, but doesn't realize what ammo she has loaded Juliet with as they head out to the party.
Rob ( Romeo) goes to the party ( besotted) Shakespeare's words... To find his beloved Rosaline And of course Juliet gets to him first, and he is overwhelmed by her beauty and insanity, (men love crazy women.)
He jumps on the crazy train, and gets lost in her insanity.
We all know what happens next, but this tale is done with a modern touch and it cleverly weaves in the themes of today's world enough to make it interesting. Rob comes back to Rosaline to beg forgiveness but she is so hurt and angry she cannot forgive, and that sets the final act in motion.
The story is not perfect but it is well done for what it is. A modern retelling of a tale worth talking about. Hopefully it will encourage young people to go back a read the Shakespeare version to get the sense of the real tragedy, and understand.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.