Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > Origin

Origin by Jessica Khoury

Sep 07, 12

Read from August 18 to 20, 2012

The Good Stuff

Fast paced and never boring. Got hooked into this one really quickly and didn't want to put it down (Yes I was up to midnight reading it!)
Intriguing heroine who develops beautifully
Sweet love story
Constantly had some movie quotes in my head while reading. The good of the one outweigh the good of the many(Star Trek) & Just because they can doesn't mean they should (Jurassic Park)
Good moral commentary - done nicely so not in your face and obvious. Also a book that could lead to fascinating discussions about right and wrong & science vs nature
Kept me guessing on what the secret was -- not overly obvious - actually understands that her readers are intelligent
Loved the character of Aunt Harriet - would like to know more about her - her actions were very realistic
Richly drawn world - quite imaginative, yet very realistic
It's a standalone book -- sorry I am just so very very sick of trilogy's
Honestly guys just an entertaining read that makes you think - highly recommend - go forth and buy with my approval LOL!

The Not So Good Stuff

We get it she's perfect - says it so many times I was irritated
Didn't think the epilogue was really needed - unless its to leave things open for a sequel or a story about Harriet - which quite frankly I think I would probably read
Pia's mother is all kinds of awful & the scene with Sneeze broke my heart
Not a bad thing, but for sensitive souls like me, some of the scenes involving animal testing are very hard to read

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"We Ai'oans do things differently, yes, but in many ways we are just the same as you."

"How?"

"He shrugs and picks a fern frond, pulling one tiny leaf off at a time and rolling back into little beads." We eat, we sleep, we breathe. We smile when we're happy, and we cry when we're sad. When we swim, we must come up for air. When we work all day, out backs get sore. When we get cut, we bleed."

I look at my pale wrist, Not all of us."

"You can't take someone's gods away. You can try, but they'll hide them and pray to them anyway."

"Everything he does, each movement, each word, is so vivid and strange. I feel like I've discovered some fascinating new species. Homo ferus: wild human. An unpredictable, nocturnal creature usually found in trees. Caution: may cause bewilderment and disorientation. Also, prone to teasing."

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

If you like a fast paced intriguing story with heart - no matter if you are YA or Adult you will enjoy this one
Sensitive readers may be disturbed by the scenes involving animal testing

4.5 Dewey's

I picked up a copy of this at Book Expo America 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origin.

08/18/2012 page 75