Dennis Batchelder's Reviews > The Old Mermaid's Tale

M 50x66
Dec 06, 08

Read in November, 2007

Beautiful and Lyrical

I was totally captivated by Clair Wagner, the storyteller of Valentine's lyrical novel, The Old Mermaid's Tale.

The story is set in a 1960's Lake Erie town. It's Clair's coming-of-age tale mixed with two love stories: Clair and Baptiste sandwiched between Clair and Pio.

Valentine sprinkles her book with delicious folklore tidbits: Baptiste's Breton sea-lore, Lake Erie seamen tales, and tales and folk music from the early sixties. The setting evokes memories of the unique life of each town before chain stores and hotels took over.

The characters are full-bodied. Sal, Baptiste, Tessie, Pio: they all deserve their own books. Valentine teased me with glimpses of their lives outside of the confines of this tale, and she left me with a longing to know more.

I was afraid that this would be too much of a "girly" book for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was sorry when I finished it. I'm looking forward to more tales from Valentine.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Old Mermaid's Tale.

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Valentine Dennis, your book "Soul Identity" is such a great book I'm flattered by your comments: http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Identity-D...