Jaiden's Reviews > The Loop

bookshelves: 4-stars, arc-copy, contemporary, for-review, sci-fi
Read from January 03 to 04, 2013 — I own a copy

Originally posted at: Girls On YA Books

~Review:
Let me tell you, when I got this book in the mail I was surprised by its size. It's only like 270+ pages. Now when stories are that short I always worry on how it's going to work out. Will 270+ pages be enough to satisfy me? Will it call short? Will it be too rushed? Will enough information be provided? Sometimes it does fall short. Others are lucky enough (well maybe it's not luck) to push past all my fears and prove to be really good! The Loop was one of the lucky (or not lucky...) ones.

Shandy Lawson is a great writer. For it being so short you didn't really feel it. And it's not like it dragged on either. It was a normal speed book. He found the happy medium and I loved it. Not only is his writing really good but the story he came up with was amazing. It's the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet but stuck in repeat. Like a broken record it just keeps repeating its tragic events. Maggie and Ben are meant to meet, fall in love and then meet their terrible end only to repeat it all over again as soon as their lives end. Maggie is able to remember it each time but Ben...Benjamin can't almost every time. Certain things come to him like déjà vu but that's as far as his memories of the events go. Each time they hope to break free of the time loop. Each time they fail. They fight against fate every time.

Reading the story from Bens POV is probably my favorite thig. I love when we get the males POV. It doesn't happen often so it's always a sweet treat when we get one. Well at least I think so!! Most of the time Ben was lost especially when it came to a new loop. He had no recollection of what had happened and had to start over each time. Again some times he got little déjà vu feelings but he had to rely on Maggie to save him from time to time and explain it all. His memory loss didn't cause the book to be slow or confusing. In fact I found it pretty fast pace as far as action and thrill went. I felt as if I was the one with time breathing down my neck waiting for death to take me! I felt what they felt. The romance was adorable. The fact that Ben couldn't remember and still was willing to face death at the end because he really liked her was endearing. I was cheering for them from the beginning!!

Fast paced, haunting, heart-breaking and absolutely wonderful! I loved The Loop through and through! I was hooked from page one, unable to put it down. Romeo and Juliett at its finest with that sci-fi twist. I finished it within a day and not because of its size. I was turning the pages faster than I could account for and before I knew it, it was over. The ending didn't leave me hanging. It ended wonderfully. Some authors just give a perfect ending and this was one of them. Shandy Lawson has a great career in Young Adult ahead of him and I can't wait to read more from him! Do I suggest you try this book out?? Well, uhm.....DUH!!!! ;P
~Rating:

4 of 5 stars!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loop.

01/03/2013 page 1
0.0% "I know this is going to be good!!! :D"
01/04/2013 page 147
70.0% ""The loop has bonded us, stitched us together like Peter Pan and his shadow. Life without her her is beyond my imagination, unthinkable, like trying to imagine e nothingness." I really really like this quote. I don't know why I love it so much but I do. it's beautiful to me for some reason. I love the first sentence the most. I really like this book! <3"
01/04/2013 page 153
73.0% "omg no no no nooooooo!!!!!! O.o"
01/04/2013 page 208
100.0% "o my gosh that was so good!! I loved it and that ending was absolutely adorable!! so glad I got to read this!!! review to come closer to the release date!! :)"