faeriemyst's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast

NOTE: I read this way back in 2008 and I have a feeling I wouldn't like it so much now, if at all. Take my review with a grain of salt.

Admittedly deeper than my last read (Glass Houses by Rachel Caine), it's still in the same basic genre that I felt like reading at this time. Even though Zoey is a bit of a Mary-Sue character (practically perfect in every way), I still liked her, and it probably helped it was written in first person so that I could read her insecurities and such. I loved the basic plot and the side characters, Damien and Stevie Rae (oh, and Nala!) were great. On the other hand, I could probably do without the 'Twins,' but beggars can't be choosers. :P If I had read this as a teenager, I know I would have loved it even more than I do. The book reminded me of Laurie Faria Stolarz's books; it had the same basic feel to it as those do, even if it's totally different in concept.

The book could have done another editing sweep. I had to reread many sentences so they would make sense to me. Now, I don't know if it's because I'm not that up on teenage slang. Now, I'm not that old, but old enough to not know every slang word or phrase. For example, there is a sentence that reads: "Just please with the taking so long." Now what is that supposed to mean? To me it sounds like it's two unfinished sentences stuck together. Hopefully, there won't be too much pop culture thrown into the series, because more often than not, it dates the book and doesn't really add anything. Nitpicking aside, I honestly can't wait to explore more of this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kierstin Yep, it's a great series :D I'm really sick of people going on about the language and sexual content. I read it when I was 11 and I'm fine. I'm not one of those people that get detention and whatnot. I'm a teen that likes to read and doesn't let that kind of thing bother her. Probably my favorite series yet.

miss aoe I agree some of the editing in Marked sucked. Just like you I had to reread sentences just so I could understand what I was reading.

message 3: by Kage (new) - rated it 1 star

Kage friend recommended to me. piece of shit. worse than twilight.