Larry's Reviews > In the Shadow of Man

In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall

M 50x66
Dec 06, 08

Recommended for: everyone who thinks we were created special.
Read in January, 1970, read count: two or three times

This book is #1 on my list of the books that most influenced my life. The orginial publishing date I am guessing was in the 60's or early 70's when the author, the elfin like Jane Goodall, was both young and unknown. She was a disciple of Leakey but possessed of an intellect equal or surpassing his. This single book, written well before all the later DNA work was to me the crystal window into the evolution of human beings. Whatever Christian based uncertainties I had vanished upon my reading of this work. It changed my entire world view about human nature, human activities and human societies. From then on I was able to see the world as Ms. Goodall saw it, a reflection of the survival strategies of higher apes, specifically chimps. Her subsequequent books simply reinforced and expanded the theme and even she found it difficult to accept some of the more brutal behaviors of her beloved chimps, much as I found it difficult to otherwise understand the brutal behaviors of our fellow less hirsute apes. It has been my unique privilege to have seen the author in life and her the passion of her love of our cousins whom she has spent most of her life studying and now sadly trying in vain to save from extinction.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of Man.