Jill's Reviews > Pale

Pale by Chris Wooding

Aug 18, 2012

bookshelves: a-reviewed, b-zombies, a-read-in-2012
Read from August 20 to 21, 2012

This novella takes place in a generally contemporary setting, safe for the people who have been turned into 'Pales' by the Lazarus Serum. Jed is one of those bullies at school, who beats up weaker kids with his friends - of course, in this case the weaker kids are the Pales.

When Jed is in an accident, his girlfriend decides to make him a Pale. And that is what is bothering me a little. I can understand the choice and I would not have said anything about it, had there been some explanation for why she acted so differently later. Because once Jed returns to school, she refuses to speak to him. There should have been some explanation of a turmoil, or some doubt shown.

Otherwise, I really liked reading this novella. It's quite easy to read and easy to get into. It's short, so one shouldn't expect too much character growth - but still, Jed is showing marvelous progress, which could have been elaborated but I'm guessing it was supposed to be this short.

I also really liked his change of heart at the end. It provided a round finish for the novella and left me very satisfied with what I had read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale.

08/21/2012
42.0% "Pretty good so far. I feel like this would've been even better as a novel, the feelings could have been elaborated much more!"