Kathleen's Reviews > Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts

Jan 02, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: LucasArts fans
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

A good, coherent timeline of LucasArts' publishing/production history, with lots of previously unseen concept art, design documents, and entertaining stories from current and past employees. I was disappointed by the book's end, though--the author fairly well glossed over a rather unfortunate (and infamous) period in LucasArts' history; namely, the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police and subsequent company "reboot" in early 2004.

Perhaps I'm not the most unbiased of readers, and that's coloring my thoughts on the matter somewhat (I remember said incident, and the resulting fallout, quite well). However, in my opinion, any real history of the company worth its salt needs to at least make some attempt at addressing the situation, and to take a long and careful look at why and how the "reboot" in question happened--and whether or not it was successful. As it is, the author just acknowledges that yes, there was a reboot, and then moves on. He never establishes quite why, or exactly what the reboot was, although it's implied that it was successful. (This book is already out of date; since it went to print, LucasArts again laid off a great deal of its staff and outsourced much of its work overseas. So, whether the relaunch was successful or not is...well, up for debate, obviously.)

Such an approach might be controversial or, at least, not well received with LucasArts, which may explain why the author didn't go that route. As it is, the book is an excellent "official" history...now it seems we need another "unofficial" history to fill in the gaps.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rogue Leaders.