Marie's Reviews > The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

5520362
Aug 18, 12

Read on August 18, 2012

** spoiler alert ** So this was even worse than the first novel, in my opinion. The story just felt all over the place and regarding what WICKED is doing, the ends do not justify the means. Why are such extremes necessary to find/create the blueprint for the killzone? How do these manipulations and Variables contribute to finding the cure? They claim there's a purpose to all of the suffering both groups are going through, but it all seems so senseless, no matter how many times their reasons are reiterated.

I still do not feel anything for Thomas. There are a couple of instances where he is the only one in his group to take action when helping someone in need, almost as if the author is blatantly saying, "THIS IS THE HERO RIGHT HERE." I get it, okay? But he's still bland and boring. Well, I take that back, sort of. He did become marginally interesting when he became very bitter about something that happens near the end. I hope he hangs on to that because it gives him a bit of character, a bit of life.

At this point I am desensitized to the slang, so it is not as annoying as before. A new character named Jorge got on my nerves with his whole "hermano" and "muchacho" deal. It is established quite early that he's Hispanic, I didn't think there's a need to randomly sprinkle Spanish words around.

Also, I love a love triangle as much as the next person (or the person next to the person next to me, since not everyone loves love triangles) but if there is one taking shape here, I don't think it's necessary. Brenda is cool and all, but Thomas and Teresa already have such a complicated history that a love triangle is just extraneous drama (and no one in A or B needs any more drama in their lives).

Newt gets it:

"They went through all that—all that planning and acting—just to make you feel betrayed? Doesn’t make any bloody sense."

I just feel that WICKED is going about their purpose in a very roundabout, drawn-out way that seems so unclear and inexplicably circuitous. I've already started on the third book and Rat Man (or Rat Face, whatever) is insistent that all of the kids' suffering isn't for naught, that they are playing a part in saving the human race. That is all well and good, but it really feels like WICKED could have achieved this using less violent and less physically, emotionally, and psychologically damaging methods. We'll see if it's worth it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.