Jenni Arndt's Reviews > House at the End of the Street

House at the End of the Street by Lily Blake

Aug 19, 2012

bookshelves: purchased-own
Read from August 17 to 18, 2012

You can read all of my reviews at Alluring Reads.

While perusing Chapters this past weekend I came across House At The End of the Street, and seeing Katniss on the cover, I was immediately sold. I had never heard of the movie before but upon seeing the perfect horror movie cover and the eerie premise I knew this book was right up my alley. Now, one thing that did deceive me a tad was the "Now A Major Motion Picture" on the cover, I figured that this was a novel that was made into a movie after publication but instead it is actually a novel based off of the screenplay of the movie. It's a very quick read at only 188 pages, so it's not the most developed tale I have ever read but it plays out exactly as you would imagine the movie and kept me entertained the whole way.

This is a horror/mystery through and through, from the very beginning when we hear about what happened in Jacobsen home I was strapped in for the ride. We have all the elements to make for a good scare, a single mother moves into a upper class neighborhood with her daughter and hears all about their deep dark secrets. After Carrie-Anne Jacobsen fell off the swing and suffered head trauma she was never the same, she was unruly and she had to be strapped down for her own safety. One night she takes a hammer to her parents head and escapes out into the woods, legend has it that she died, but her body was never found. Now Carrie-Anne's brother, Ryan, lives in the very house that the tragedy happened in and is outcast from the whole neighborhood.

As I said, this novel is short so we don't have the most developed characters ever but the glimpses that we get into Elissa's past really makes her stand out and lets us understand her motivations as much as possible. I liked her, she was into music and didn't have the easiest life ever. It made sense to me why she was so empathetic to Ryan and didn't seem off kilter to me. We also have Tyler, the snobby rich kid who we are supposed to hate, and he came across perfectly too. For the small amount of pages I was really pleased with how much I came to understand the characters.

The mystery is what really drives this story throughout we know that something is amiss but I could not pinpoint it for the life of me. Once the truth came out I will say that I was suitably surprised and my mind had not once strayed that way in the duration of the novel. I would probably recommend seeing the movie before reading the book, because I do still want to see the movie and now I know how it ends. But none the less, it was an enjoyable, quick read that took me by surprise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House at the End of the Street.

08/17/2012 page 62