Sonya's Reviews > The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia

The Magician's Book by Laura Miller

Dec 15, 08

bookshelves: good-book-club-pick, favorite-author, best-of-2000s, best-of-2008
Read in December, 2008

The structure of this book expertly mimics Laura Miller's own experience with CS Lewis's Narnia Chronicles. In addition to her own textual readings, Miller discusses the framework of ideas behind both Lewis's and JRR Tolkein's major works; in essence, their worldviews and varying emphases on the Middle Ages, literature at large, and even their adherence to their pedigrees and national identities inform their works and their stormy friendship in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. I knew essentially nothing about CS Lewis's life before I started, but Miller uses his biography to expand on all aspects of his writing, along with the basic tenets of reader response literary theory (what a reader brings to a text is very important and cannot be discounted). This is a wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn have added that to my list -- sounds fascinating

message 2: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori you always make me want to read the books you like :) I have added that to my ever expanding list as well

Sonya I hope you enjoy it, Lori.

message 4: by Rosary (new)

Rosary Hmm I have never read CS Lewis's Narnia books--would Miller make me want to or not want to?

Sonya I think she'd make you curious about them. If nothing else, her book would be a good conversation starter for your students who might have read them. Or make you think about your own relationship to books you read as a child. I really think you would enjoy her work.