Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > The Good Father

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: 2012-new-reads
Recommended to Elizabeth by: SDMB
Read in September, 2012

Cripes, this was a hard read, in an emotional sense. I'm now pretty much paralyzed with fear over every parenting decision I will ever make, so thanks for that!

It was definitely a page-turner, the story feels very compelling. A young drifter assassinates a presidential candidate, and this is the story of his father's attempt to piece together what happened in his son's life that brought the young man to the point where he would murder someone. My biggest complaint is that sometimes the prose got a little too purple.

As these books tend to go, it's very much about the psychological progress of both the father (in the present time of the story) and the son (as told in a combination of journal entries and flashbacks), and not so much the Law&Order version of the mechanics of the crime. There are also several chapters that reflect on other famous (real) assassinations (or attempts).

It was a decent read, but certainly not uplifting.

Grade: B+
Recommended: I think it's an interesting look at why (or non-why) people can get to mental places where they commit these kinds of crimes, but it is a little emotionally grueling to get through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Father.