Rayne's Reviews > False Memory

False Memory by Dan Krokos

Real Score: 3.5

False Memory is an action-packed, fast and thrilling book that's best described as The Bourne Identity for teens. This was a fun book and Miranda is a strong and independent protagonist that I greatly enjoyed reading about, and, finally, we got a love triangle that sort of made sense. I liked the overall thematic of the novel, but the rest of the protagonists fell a bit flat for me, the twists and turns failed to excite me and I believe it was because of the way they were delivered, and, ultimately, this is an action-oriented story rather than character or plot-driven.

I loved the way the author wrote the actions scenes. They were cinematic and fluid, and, since the book is about 80% actions scenes, well, that was really satisfying. In many books, some of the actions or movements are lost in the rush of the moment and they are occasionally hard to follow, but that is not the case with False Memory. Every fight was fast and thrilling but easy to follow.

After the second time someone had filled in on what information our protagonist was missing, I did find myself hoping that our characters could figure out something on their own, but it kept happening all throughout the book. Someone had to come and explain carefully what was going on, and that way of delivering plot twits kind of took away from the surprise of the revelation.

I didn't particularly dislike the two male love interests involved in the love triangle, but I never felt like there was any chemistry between Miranda and any of them, and their personalities didn't really jump out of the page either. I felt like they were the standard two love interests: one quietly strong, respectful and tortured and the other one outspoken, snarky and uncontrollable. I did like the reason behind the love triangle. I thought it was well-played throughout the novel and added a lot of tension, but, ultimately, I was not convinced with the relationships. Well, I must admit that the two boys being the leaders and protectors of girls that are as strong as them didn't really endear me to them, but their stock personalities and the way I was supposed to believe their affections because of steamy make-out sections simply didn't sell the romance to me.

This book is a lot of fun. It is engaging, exhilarating and fast. The plot behind it is intriguing and, all in all, the plot twits are thought-provoking and entertaining. I liked the book and I will definitely read the next in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Memory.