Rania's Reviews > Honor Student

Honor Student by Teresa Mummert

F_50x66
Aug 17, 12

I love me some trashy bdsm erotica, I really do.

When 50 shades started attracting a lot of attention, a friend of mine (who lives a bdsm lifestyle) was worried that its popularity would encourage a lot of inexperienced people to dabble with bdsm and mimic the way it's done in the book (not a good thing, because 50 shades depicts an unrealistic and unhealthy bdsm relationship). Now admittedly, my main worry was that 50 shades would spawn a ton of badly written, uninformed, crappy bdsm erotica. And this book is a prime example.

I suspect there a lot of people who never read any erotica until 50 shades, and it gave them a taste and now they want to explore the genre more. I feel like telling them that there is much better stuff out there than 50 shades and its imitators. I hope books like this dont discourage people from the genre, but honestly, if this was my introduction I would run a mile.

Maybe my low rating is unfair, because when I saw this book I assumed it was a 50 shades knock-off, and that I would hate it. But even knowing this, I read it anyway, and yes, I hate it. But sheesh. The right way for authors to capitalize on the success of 50 shades is to take the successful elements and then WRITE SOMETHING BETTER. It's not hard to do because 50 shades sets the bar very low. I have zero respect for authors who take the lazy way out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honor Student.