Julia's Reviews > Never Eighteen

Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

Aug 17, 12

A best friend/cousin of mine had his life taken too early, so this book really hit home for me. He missed his 15th birthday by exactly one month, and the idea of this young man never being able to reach his 18th birthday is incredibly sad. We get to see how this courageous young man spends his last few weeks in Never Eighteen.

Austin is struggling with leukemia. The treatments he has undergone haven't been very helpful, and though his mother wants him to keep up with his treatments, he has decided against it. He is going to take the last few weeks he has to try to help those that he cares about and his own peace of mind. He gets to cross things off of his bucket list too.

I will honestly say I didn't want to read this book because of the subject matter. I find it rather depressing (and inspirational) and that isn't usually the reason why I want to read a book. The story is an absolute tearjerker. I mean, I had two waterfalls coming from my eyes at the end. The ending is beautiful, morose and just wonderful. I haven't had a book make me do this in sooo long. My heart felt like it had been squeezed.

I highly recommend this book- it won't take you long to read. And at $7.99 it is totally worth every penny. Any contemporary young adult fan should read this, but the subject matter is maybe best left for those ages 14+.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eighteen.