Angela (:'s Reviews > The Program

The Program by Suzanne Young

Jul 20, 14

bookshelves: 2013-april, dystopia, fantasy, owned-physical, science-fiction, give-away-or-sell
Read from August 14 to 15, 2013

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

No spoilers. (I don't think so, anyway.)

I want to say I'm disappointed in this, but to be honest, I'm not. I'm not because I had low expectations for this when I started. Suzanne Young is not an author I like, or am very familiar with. The Program is a dystopian, which is a genre I really can't stand. There are few dystopians I enjoy, this not one of them.

This is so hard to review. Ugh, okay, I'll start off with what I liked. I liked the story, for the most part. It was interesting enough, although it took a VERY long time to get interested. The Program is a very slow-paced book, where it takes forever for something to happen. When I first started reading, it was okay. Not good, not bad, but just okay. Then it started to get super boring, and I slowly lost interest. It's like I had to make myself get through page after page, which is not good for any book.

This is all so confusing because while I liked the story, there were so many problems with it. There wasn't any background information on the cause for teenagers to commit suicide. It's mentioned that it happens because of some drugs or whatever, but I would have liked something more. Another thing I didn't like was that The Program erases your memories as a way to stop depression; I don't understand how that works. And The Program is just way too complicated. It works and it doesn't, depending on how you look at it. But considering that their method makes so sense at all, it really shouldn't work.

There's so much excess information, some where I had no idea why it was even there. A lot of The Program is not needed, in my opinion. Having all of it just makes it harder to get into. In Part One, I was bored out of my mind. Before Sloane is put into The Program, nothing important occurs. There's pages and pages of unnecessary information. This 400-page book can easily be cut down to much shorter, making it a whole lot more enjoyable. Part 2 is where it gets better, but only to an extent. Do you ever read a book and sort of like it and want to continue, but at the same time hate it and want to stop? That's how I felt with this book. About halfway through the book, I was interested enough to keep reading to the end, but the entire time, I couldn't help but think how much I didn't enjoy reading it.

The characters were tolerable, but not really likable. I didn't like Sloane because I couldn't connect to her. I didn't feel that her character was developed enough (ha, she barely has a personality). James, the love interest, is a character I really didn't like. He's always so angry and it's just weird. There were a lot of side characters, many of which I didn't see a point in. None of them played very big roles, and if they did, I didn't see it. One of the characters (view spoiler), I felt very confused about. Who is he really? He hides a lot of things, so I can't tell if he's a good character or not. Though he did pretend to be who he's not as a way to get another character to do what he needed. So there really is nothing good about him, I guess.

About Sloane and James: (view spoiler)

And even the ending doesn't answer any questions. All it told me was that characters are creepier than I thought they were, and there's no one to trust.

This is very random, but for some reason, I thought that The Program would end like 1984. "I love The Program." .-.

Overall, it's not a surprise I didn't like this very much. It's enjoyable (sort of?) and very boring at the same time. I probably will not continue with the series unless someone is very good at convincing.

ETA: It's a nice cover though. I have a hardcover copy of it and under the top cover (the one you can take off), you can see their faces. :o

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Program.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Greta you don't like dystopian!! even THG?

Angela (: No, I don't. I never read that. (: I have it on my Kindle but I'm scared to start, because I don't know if I'll like it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, I hope you give THG a chance!

Angela (: I will. (: Not sure when, but I will.