Jen's Reviews > Freak

201739
Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: fiction, genre
Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The tagline that drew me to this book was, "What if Hannibal Lecter had been a woman?" Harris should sue over that. Lecter was a complicated character who managed to be almost likable despite being terrifying. Hillier's Abby is crazy-- the two have that in common-- but she lacks charm. She is manipulative and other characters fall for her beauty, but as a reader I never once liked or admired her. I didn't hate her. I was just bored by her. I knew immediately which character would be her "suprise" accomplice, and the two psychologists in the book knew less about human behavior and mental illness than an undergrad who's taken Abnormal Psych. The quality of the writing is mediocre at best.

I also want to note that this book plays into the crazy, sexually manipulative bisexual trope. Lecter's queerness didn't read as insulting because he was a fully-developed character whose sexuality was independent of his madness, whereas Hillier's Abby reads as a stock character-- and an insulting one at that.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freak.