Kathy Szydlo's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Aug 17, 12

Read in August, 2012

The fourth of the Jackson Brodie novels. It took me a while to get caught up in this one, but I liked it once I did. Atkinson seems to like to tease readers by making us guess for awhile as to who each scene is about. So it takes some going back and rereading sections at times.

Like the other 3 books, she introduces several characters who seem to be unconnected, then switches back and forth among them throughout the book as they become part of the same story. She also jumps from the present to the past on occasion.

The main characters are: Tracy, a retired cop now in mall security, who on the spur of the moment decides to save a small child who might be abused. Tilly, an aging actress trying to make ends meet, who is in the early stages of dementia. Tilly's sorrows about her past and her realization that she's becoming more confused broke my heart. And of course Jackson Brodie, private investigator, who is traveling around northern England while trying to find out more about the birth parents of a client who lives in New Zealand.

I was disappointed that Louise Monroe didn't factor into this story, but I'm hoping Atkinson soon comes out with a 5th Jackson Brodie novel which features her. I'm also hoping that we read more about Courtney, the little girl with the birthmark in the shape of Africa. It seems like that's a loose end which might factor into another book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.