Christi Snow's Reviews > Justice at Cardwell Ranch

Justice at Cardwell Ranch by B.J. Daniels

Oct 02, 12

Read in September, 2012

My Review:

This was a book that surprised me because it was so much heavier on the suspense than the romance. But that was okay with me because the suspense story line was really good. I had no idea where the twists and turns were going to go next.

In the story, it’s time for the twentieth class reunion for 8 former high school students in this small Montana community. Their senior year was marred by the suicide of Tanner, Jordan’s best friend. Jordan never understood why Tanner committed suicide, but there was never any sign of foul play. That is until one of his former classmates calls to tell Jordan that he needs to talk to him about Tanner’s suicide if he can come home for the reunion. But when he goes to meet that classmate, someone shoots and kills him.

That’s what happens in just the first few pages, but the story weaves in and out of the lives of these eight friends and what happened to them twenty years ago. It’s a story worthy of any soap opera. To make things even more dramatic, there is also a side story…or actually several of them…with Jordan’s family. I think that there may be a past novel that gets into the real drama which happened to this family six years ago, but none of the four siblings have spoken since then. Dana is still there running the family ranch with her husband, two kids, and is on bed-rest awaiting the birth of her twins. Without warning and seemingly coincidentally, two of the siblings come home…Jordan and Sarah. Sarah has her own mystery in tow—a six month old baby.

Because Jordan was there when Alex was shot, he's automatically a suspect in his murder. In charge of the investigation is Liza. She doesn't believe that Jordan is guilty, but there are so many threads to unravel, it's impossible to tell who is guilty. In the meantime, she's worried that he's going to be the one to end up dead.

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought that I would enjoy a book with this light of a romance line. It is truly all about the suspense mystery (although, no worries, there is an HEA). But what was there was really romantic and emotionally satisfying enough for me to buy the romance and find it to be enough. I definitely got pulled into every aspect of this book. It was a good one.

I received a complementary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Justice at Cardwell Ranch.