Marci's Reviews > Witch Born

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Recommended for: 16 and up
Read on August 15, 2012 — I own a copy

I read this in about four hours, and I loved it to death.

Amber Argyle's first book, Witch Song, was very good, but not one of my favourites. I had a few parts I disliked, but that happens with all books that aren't written by Tolkien. In the sequel, Witch Born, there were still a few hairy parts, and I found a typo in my eARC (bonus points!), but at the end I was speechless and cheering for Senna (my reactions to the book would have been quite humorous, had anyone actually seen them.)

The characters and events in this book were described beautifully, with vivid imagery. This book needs no illustrations, because the words do that perfectly. This impressed me greatly. I was able to picture the events in the book quite well.

I found several new inspirational quotes in this book, and two of my favourites follow.

"She realized home wasn’t a place. It was here, safe in his arms. As long as she had this, everything would be all right."

“I can only control my actions, not their reactions,” Senna replied. “But I have to live with both.”

Brusenna's growth as a character greatly impressed me, and her strength at the end to make the right choices. She is a character to admire now, and at only 16! Brusenna's age made me laugh a bit also, but it really helped to explain her current level of maturity in the book I had one slight problem with her age. Due to the fact she is 16, this book may be accepted as suitable reading material for young teens, and that's fine, but only to a point. I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 16 (Brusenna's age, ironically). A few parts were a little deep, and it was a bit violent at times.

Overall, it had some cheesy romantic parts, but I still loved it to pieces. The drama, characters, emotions, and settings make this an amazing novel. I plan to try to get a copy of the book that isn't an e-book when it is released, and I will be reading it again, starting tomorrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witch Born.

Quotes Marci Liked

Amber Argyle
“She realized that home wasn't a place. It was here, safe in his arms. As long as she had this, everything would be all right.”
Amber Argyle, Witch Born

Amber Argyle
“I can only control my actions, not their reactions," Senna replied. "But I have to live with both.”
Amber Argyle, Witch Born

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Hey I think the author of this book lives near me, I'm pretty sure she's from Randolph! I know she had a book signing here a few months ago. Since I haven't read the book I didn't go, but I thought it was cool that you liked her books. I'll have to read them sometime!