Karima's Reviews > The Chronology of Water

The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch

Aug 20, 12

Read in August, 2012

Very difficult for me to assign stars to this book. I hated parts of it. Had to slam it closed and say, "No more!"
Shake myself free of it like a dog after a dunk in a pool of toxic water. Found much of the language unnecessarily raw and ugly. Throughout much of the reading I would have been inclined to give it two stars. Also, very much dislike the technique that is becoming more and more prevalent of late, where an author uses periods to add emphasis. Is this a literary device? Does it have a name?
Example: (p. 123- Who. Am. I.)
Felt like the author was intentionally trying to shock and appall us, over and over AND OVER again. But then, she got me. The final third of the book bore right into me. I held my breath during the birth of her son and prayed, "Oh please! NOT ANOTHER TRAGEDY! We can't take it! Have sympathy for your readers!"
Then I must remind myself that this is not a novel. This is a woman's life.
The final chapter "Wisdom is a Motherfucker" is the bomb!
Get on the bus, jump in the lake, make this life work for you. My hat's off to you Lidia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronology of Water.

Renee WOW!!! What a review! I shared your feelings as well I just could not articulate as well as you! Bravo.

Karima Thanks Renee!