Jeannine's Reviews > Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Aug 21, 12

Read from August 17 to 21, 2012

Some very good stuff here. Some not. It's easy to flip through and find what interests you. Even when Strayed/Sugar is hard on people, she's not judgmental, and I'm a sucker for her endearments ("sweet pea"). Some of the letters made me cry. I wish we could know how some of the situations turned out.

Know what you're getting into if you read this: this is not Dear, Abby, in both subject matter and language. (Though my own language isn't so saintly, the f-bombage here is widespread. I find it's one thing to speak it, another to hear someone else speak it/write it - ahem).

I read and liked Strayed's novel Torched many years ago and recently searched amazon to see if she had anything new out. I found this book and also Wild, which I'd dismissed (if Oprah gets breathless over something, it's usually not for me). Strayed is a gifted writer and it shines through in Dear Sugar, in Torched, and probably in Wild which is now on my nightstand to read.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Beautiful Things.