Christine's Reviews > Laika

Laika by Nick Abadzis

Dec 05, 2008

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in December, 2008

the inevitability of some things is painful, and in our weakest moments we try to stop the hands of fate, but it is precisely because of this pain that we know the thing must be done. this graphic novel is a story of laika, the first living creature to be launched into space.

the sad but hopeful story of laika is pretty well known, but abadzis is praiseworthy because he crafted the world around laika, gave her a back story. the main theme here is the constant struggle between ambition and humanity.

the best scene is towards the end, the night before the launch. laika can suddenly talk with his handler, and he asks what the strange, stinky place is that they find themselves in. the trainer, already sad and in turmoil about the event, replies,

This place is a place where we do what we do best. Where we don't let dogs be dogs...or even people be people. This place...this place is a monument to man's ambitions.

big, empty spaces of the russian landscape, the coldness and the bleakness of it as if no one were paying attention--but also, the warmth and the connection between people and animals. they're all excellently captured here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laika.