Isamlq's Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Aug 22, 12

Read from August 19 to 20, 2012

Different. Crewel is yet another book that I started not knowing what the heck was going to happen. It's a fact for which I am extremely grateful because it was one helluva ride with each thing revealed, and with each thing laid out, well, the lower my jaw dropped.

It’s incredibly creative in how things are put together with a little bit of the fantastical/magical feel that I like, (one had to pay attention for fear of missing some vital piece) in the little more scary dystopian world. Get this: it’s actually scary. Thank the gods that it’s not set up just like all those that have come before it. This one is not ravaged by a killer virus or plague that affects certain sectors only, thank you very much. But this one does have people in charge. Except they didn’t sound all that crazy all the time given that they’ve each a trait that made them different from the other, some are better than others, with one skeevy, another incredibly ambitious but both passionate about how things ought to be.

Beyond them, a world that’s controlled except it’s the how of it all that had Crewel standing out even more. In a word? Original. World weaving and reality making in a place where women are segregated and then dominated. Perhaps it could have been confusing, but the story simply gripped so that as Adelice was learning all these things so was I.

Better yet the characters aren’t just good or just bad, and kept her guessing. Adelice is the likeable sort. How she’s brought up explains a lot of what she doesn’t know and even more of how she feels (doesn’t feel.) Her reactions felt plausible, and I was rooting for her especially when I set aside how anything bad that was happening boiled down to being her fault, at least in her head. As said, we learn thing at the same time that she does, so her learning about the girl-boy side of things was interesting too; this is so even with the makings of a triangle present. Though she was naïve at times, she is easy to like and easy to root for.

This was very, very good

3-4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.