Isamlq's Reviews > Katya's World

Katya's World by Jonathan L. Howard

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley
Read from August 22 to 23, 2012

It's all action and then more action. The absence of a romantic plot is one that I commend because this one relies on its characters and what they had to do given it being set in a place that’s quite unique. The planet colony Russalka is just getting over its violent past. It’s a place that allowed for some interesting messes for them to get out of. I mean how exactly does one escape when they were where they were?

The place has allowed the Russalkin to adapt. They’re sturdy people, gung ho about having a role and taking on responsibility. All of which describes Katya; she’s young and headstrong, but brave and with direction too. Some people weren’t who they said they were: the sniveling newbie was not just that, and neither was the brave pirate. Of course, others were precisely who we think they are, the good uncle is good, and again, the girl, she’s smarter, braver and more reliable than most, too.

Save a world that’s so richly described, we’ve the necessary double crosses and half truths that kept things confusing/exciting. I liked this. The way things are set up, there were some interesting messes to get out of… so many interesting parts in fact that I wish more was done to flesh each of those things out. The creature that features greatly here, could have been more; the danger above could have been more! The ending too was too quite for me except that it’s also an ending I didn’t foresee.

Goodness! Rating this is difficult. For what is present~ all that was different and new , I’d have said a 4 of 5, but with me wanting details on each new and different bit introduced, well I've to settle for a 3 of 5.

Thank you Net Galley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Katya's World.