Jon's Reviews > The Best American Science Writing 2008

The Best American Science Writing 2008 by Sylvia Nasar

Dec 08, 08

Read in December, 2008

I am very disappointed in this book. All of the articles are very interesting, but when I bought this I didn't realize just how narrowly focused it was going to be. I flipped through the book and took a tally. Of the nineteen articles - twelve of them are about medical science, three are about medical ethics(all three about drug reps and two of those by the same co-authors), and four are about enviromental science. Furthermore fifteen of the nineteen are from either the New York Times or the New Yorker. I had been very excited about a broad range of science topics and I now feel duped. It just seems like Sylvia Nasar, who edited the book and collected the articles, either didn't care about this project and did it during a lunch break one day for the paycheck, or had so many restraints that the only thing she could do was have her recognizable name on the cover. If it would have been titled "the best american medical science writing of 2008" I would not have any problem with it at all because I would have know what I was reading. Next year though I will know to examine just what exactly is in the best of 2009 before I think about picking it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Science Writing 2008.