Crystal's Reviews > Broken Dignity

Broken Dignity by Michael J. Lando

Aug 23, 12

bookshelves: firstread
Read from August 17 to 23, 2012

A slow read with many dark in-depth chapters of sex and violence and a heavy Christian redemption overtone that just didn’t measure up to what this book could have been.

This book had everything to be a great book (human trafficking, sex industry, politics) yet it somehow fell short. The story line, aside from being rather predictable, was good and the book takes a more in-depth look at the industry than most take, but I just could not buy into this story. The author tried really hard to make the main characters multidimensional and relatable but I found the dimensions so contrasting and extreme they were beyond relatable, plus there were other contrasting extremes throughout the book right down to the way the characters spoke and the grammar they used.

What bothered me most about this whole book was the way the female characters were developed. No matter how much or how little education they had it seemed everything was about their looks, their jealousy, their temper, etc. Basically every thought these women had somehow related to the men around them, there were basically no lives for these women beyond the men they served (in one way or another) and I am not just talking about the characters in the sex industry. This seemed counter intuitive in a book about a woman trying to find herself and get out of the sex industry, not to mention very unrealistic.

I think all the little annoyances were even worse because the book could have been so great!

The last few chapters were by far the best part of the book and almost made up for the rest of it, but not quite.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Dignity.