Kate's Reviews > Freaks of the Heartland

Freaks of the Heartland by Steve Niles

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: 2008, age-adult, graphic-novels
Read in December, 2008

I heard that a movie based on this graphic novel was being filmed (according to AMC's Horror Hacker blog), so I found it at a library and checked it out. I read Steve Niles's 30 Days of Night series, and this had a very different style of artwork. 30 Days of Night was very raw and sketchy, and this had very realistic looking characters (even the "Freaks" of the title were pretty realistic). Like 30 Days of Night, I felt like this was a very simple story and I wished for more background detail and explanations. Maybe there's a sequel somewhere? I can definitely see this being a movie but there will probably be more depth to the characters and backstory and subplot than in this graphic novel. The artwork, I felt, was even better than 30 Days of Night (despite it being hard to compare the two completely different styles), probably because it is more realistic.

There wasn't anything in this that would make this more of an "adult" read than a "YA" read (themes of abuse, suicide, etc., are pretty well covered in YA, and there wasn't any language or sex), but I think adult graphic novel readers would appreciate this more and wouldn't interest most YA graphic novel readers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freaks of the Heartland.