Gwen's Reviews > Life, the Universe and Everything

Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams

Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: book-series, fantasy-science-fiction-candy, must-read-more
Read in August, 2012

I confess I have an odd hang-up about this novel. I mean, I don't get how I'm willing to stretch my suspension of disbelief for a universe where you can make a theoretical mathematics computer that resembles an Italian bistro, a planet exists which hosts a species of sentient mattresses, and Marvin the robot managed to exist for billions of years by himself without rusting or falling apart, but the idea that Arthur Dent can fly just by ignoring the fact that he's defying the laws of gravity seems a bit too far removed from science fiction to be believable.

Particularly when this novel is also asking me to turn a blind eye to the fact that reincarnation exists. But, really, the flying was too much for me.

I was half-expecting to find out that the middle section was going to turn out to be just a dream, and I also wondered if they ever really left the simulated reality set up by the man from the publishing building in the last novel. The way that Arthur's bag kept changing form, then an old one inexplicably showed up out of nowhere strengthened that impression.

I dunno. How do you figure out where the line of believability is drawn in a crazy series like this? I'm not sure, so I guess I'm just going to leave that one there.

This was still an entertaining book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, the Universe and Everything.