Mike's Reviews > Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray by Andy Holloman

Aug 20, 12

Read from August 17 to 20, 2012

As a début novel this is a nice piece of work. However, I did find this a very uneven story in that it didn't seem to be able to settle into its genre. There are large areas of what is essentially by-play demonstrating John's close relationship with Lucy. Too many of these and they run on too long to add neat counterpoint to the main dramatic events concerning drugs, murder, smuggling, corruption and so forth.
The idea is a good one but we get to 'feel' very little of John's moral dilemma, his internal struggle with right and wrong. He brings up the arguments but we fail to see him overcoming or by-passing them satisfactorily. His acceptance is too grey. Travis' dilemma is rather skated over and his role underused.
Sometimes the dialogue feels strained and it is difficult to believe hardened drug dealers are speaking.
In plot terms it might have been better to finish the opening without revealing quite so much. Ending Chap 1 at “... glass breaking, metal bending, and Lucy's screams.” would provide the drama and leave it open-ended and sharpen the finale.
All in all, despite grey areas in construction and dialogue, this is a good first effort.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Gray.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andy Holloman Hey - just wanted to send out a quick msg as I have a new title out now...thanks!!

When His Dreams Take Flight