Chrissie's Reviews > A Hundred Flowers

A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama

Mar 01, 13

bookshelves: china, hf, audible, maybe

Audiobook is narrated by Simon Vance. I bet if I read it it would get three stars. I gave The Samurai's Garden three stars. How many would I give "A Hundred Flowers" if I listened to it with Simon Vance? I might test this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hundred Flowers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeannette Simon Vance could nudge you a bit, I'm guessing. ;)

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Aug 20, 2012 11:38AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie It would be interesting to see how I would react to it!

Jeannette It certainly would! This story is missing something for me. I love her writing, but I should have been more moved by the story than I was.

Jeannette Remember, though, it is all about the people, the relationships, and light on the historical detail. You won't learn much about the Cultural Revolution or the "Hundred Flowers" Initiative (or whatever it's proper name was).

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I have pretty much given up the idea of reading this book. I don't want to choose a book just because it has a good narrator!

Jeannette I have to get used to people's shelving systems! When it popped up in the feeds, I didn't realize it meant you had "demoted" it to just "maybe" status.

Same thing happened yesterday when a friend moved a book from "currently-reading" to "to-read" shelf. I thought she had added the book!

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie The worst new "improvement" at GR is the position of the box where you add a new book. Many times I have added books already on my shelves.