Wafiyah's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: anticlimactic, action-suspense, family, fantasy, horrible-romance, not-so-good, terrible-protagonist, romance, sci-fi
Recommended to Wafiyah by: No one
Recommended for: No one of interest
Read from August 17 to 19, 2012, read count: Once, and never again

Justin is such a hypocrite, Maddie is so obsessive, and the whole world is just so strangely unreal it's hard to get into this book's settings. Honestly, I can't imagine an entire park made of plastic, it just doesn't work like that. True, I understand that people are so indulged in their technology it makes them ignore their real friends for weeks, months, and years, but this whole "save the world" thing is just so ridiculous, to be blunt. I suppose it was an idea others could have taken and written themselves and Kacvinsky did well there, but some things about this book just... messed up. Also, I hope Justin and Maddie get their shit together and realize that it's not healthy to depend on someone with your life (Maddie), and if you're going to tell your kind-of-girlfriend that she has to be "open" and "honest" and to "be herself" then you're gonna have to do the same (Justin).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.

08/17/2012 page 204
66.0% "Justin is such a hypocrite. I started feeling this slow anger towards him near the middle of the book, but now I really don't like him."