Dangerous Romance Book Reviews's Reviews > Kiss of Frost

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep

F 50x66
Aug 17, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I’ll admit it right here and now: I’m totally in love with this series! The world Mrs. Estep has created is amazing, her characters hilarious, frustrating, scary, vivid and just utterly real, I’m constantly being swept away into her world and forgets everything else around me!

Kiss of Frost is the second book in the Mythos Academy series, and Gwen Frost is still not quite used to everything, and honestly, it’s a very different world than the one she grew up in.
Here’s the book blurb:

Logan Quinn was trying to kill me. My Spartan classmate relentlessly pursued me, swinging his sword at me over and over again, the shining silver blade inching closer to my throat every time. A smile tugged up his lips, and his icy-blue eyes practically glowed with the thrill of battle….

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior- in-training at Mythos Academy, and I have no idea how I’m going to survive the rest of the semester. One day, I’m getting schooled in swordplay by the guy who broke my heart – the drop-dead gorgeous Logan, who slays me every time. Then, an invisible archer in the Library of Antiquities decides to use me for target practice. And now, I find out that someone at the academy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword – with Logan’s help – I just might die by the sword…

In this book, the entire academy is going to the Winter Carnival for a weekend, a long tradition held for all of the different Myth schools. Daphne practically ordered Gwen she should go with them. “Even if I have to drag you kicking and screaming all the way down to the bus”; Daphnes own words :-) Gwen accepts (was there really any choice?), hoping she will get a decent weekend and that she will (somehow) forget about Logan (and Savanna).

Gwen still got a major crush on Logan Quinn, and it hurts to see him with Savanna, especially when Logan admits he feels something for Gwen. There’s this great, great scene where Logan acts all jealous and…no, I can’t tell. But, oh I really, really want to! Safe to say though, the Spartan has a huge secret that makes him act like a douche bag towards Gwen. When you learn his secret it will make you forgive him, because you really understand why.

But someone is after Gwen – again. Only this time, it’s worse. A car almost hitting her, an arrow sent after her at the Library of Antiquities, a Fenrir wolf and an avalanche – accidents, or something more sinister? Will Gwen make it this time – and now when her magic is growing can she use her new abilities to do good and save the day?

Gwen is tired of being hunted, feeling as if she sucks at everything. She just wants to be like all the other kids and she wants to prove to herself, her mom, her grandmother and to Nike that the Goddess chose well when she chose Gwen as her Champion.

I spotted the bad guy quite early – or so I thought. Jennifer Estep delivered such a curveball that I NEVER saw it coming! And then how everything came together in the end? Wonderful!

Being a Gypsy, Nike’s Champion and everything else is just dandy, but Gwen's true character will come forth when her worst nightmare is being played out in front of her and all the truth comes out. I’m not sure I would have been able to handle it the way she did.

This series is definitely worth taking a look at if you like myths, magic, friendship, action, romance and secrets. The world Jennifer Estep has created at the Mythos Academy is wonderful, and I’m looking forward to reading the next one in this series, Dark Frost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Frost.