Matt's Reviews > Writing and Difference

Writing and Difference by Jacques Derrida

M 50x66
Dec 12, 08

The abstract art of modern philosophy. Self-indulgent (others say playful), unnecessarily digressive and round-about----the actual conceptual depth of what is conveyed, while it was surely groundbreaking, can be stated in terms much simpler than Derrida's. Derrida is a cultural hero to many and the gravitational mass of the cult that surrounds him has bent the light in the eyes of those who adulate a man that can do no wrong.
I once heard Derrida give a lecture in Auckland on the concept of mercy as related to "merci", and it was 3 hours long. 1/3 of the audience left by 30 minutes once they saw where he was headed, 1/3 sat in rapture, and 1/3 laughed and played cards (or maybe that was my friend and I...).
Derrida blah blah blah.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing and Difference.

message 1: by Traveller (new) - added it

Traveller Hehe... yes, he does seem to "wax forth" and become quite... erm, lyrical about issues that could have been addressed in a much simpler and straightforward fashion, in my opinion.

A pity, because his ideas are interesting, but his style makes then more inaccessible than is necessary.