Manny's Reviews > La Madeleine de Proust

La Madeleine de Proust by Marcel Proust

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: children, french, life-is-proust, the-goodreads-experience
Recommended for: Young poseurs
Read on August 17, 2012

Tired of being picked on by literary snobs? Unable to hold your head up on Goodreads? Now, with an investment of only ten minutes of your time* you will be able to say you have read Proust in the original!† Can you afford to ignore this amazing offer?

* Exact time may depend on reading level in French.

† Portions of text may be edited or simplified for presentational purposes. No representation explicit or implicit is made that other kids will believe your claim, take you more seriously as a result, or refrain from beating you up and throwing your dumb book in the bushes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Madeleine de Proust.

Manny Go for it Mariel!

Manny I am not sure who we are showing, but we should show them just on principle!

The book is actually kind of cute. I think a certain kind of kid (possibly one who had never heard of Proust) would genuinely like it.

message 3: by Manny (last edited Aug 17, 2012 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny This is an excellent plan. Best of luck with your half-assedness - may it rapidly turn into three-quarter assedness on its way to still greater things! I have similar intentions regarding German.

message 4: by Clif (new)

Clif Hostetler I see that's it's illustrated.
Thus, French isn't really needed.

message 5: by Clif (new)

Clif Hostetler That's le snob to you.

Manny Clif, apologize to Mariel at once and get her book out of that bush!

message 7: by Clif (new)

Clif Hostetler Well, OK.
I guess I forgot to put a happy face after my last comment. :)

message 8: by Manny (last edited Aug 18, 2012 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Manny You are so right Mariel! We went to a party in France just yesterday evening (one of the perks of living in Geneva is that you can reach a foreign country with a 4 franc bus-ride). The foreigners, particularly the Americans, were immediately identifiable by the fact that they were smiling, while the natives huddled grimly together in a corner smoking Gauloises and discussing existentialist philosophy.

After a while, the Americans realized the dreadful faux pas they had committed and tried to join in, but one of them failed to agree a past participle with a preceding direct object and after that there was nothing they could do. Very painful to watch.

message 9: by Cecily (last edited Aug 19, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Cecily This book is tempting. I gave up on the usual version - even though it was in English.

Manny Go for it Cecily! Maybe it will get you hooked.

Mariel, as soon as you've started that country I'm applying for a visa. I totally approve of your policy on emoticons.

message 11: by Elham (new)

Elham Did he write only this one for children?! This is like Voolf's Nurse Lugton's Curtain. Do you think there's a translation of it in English?

Manny It's not actually by Proust as such... it's a selection of passages from La Recherche deemed suitable for children (yeah, right) and illustrated by Mme. Bone. I am not sure if she also chose the actual passages.

message 13: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira OK, for argument's sake, suppose someone who is fluent in Spanish were going to spend her summer break learning French. Would she be able to read this in, say, August, during the time of le grand vacance?

Manny Probably! But you will get a more authoritative answer from Kalliope, who is Spanish and knows everything about Proust...