Dangerous Romance Book Reviews's Reviews > Hexed

Hexed by Kevin Hearne

F 50x66
Aug 17, 2012

Read in August, 2011

Publisher Description: Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex.

I've been reading a lot of dark books lately. It wasn't out of intention, it’s just the way they happened to roll in. And sometimes, depending on the book, I'm fine with that. But I'm tired. It's the damn dog days of summer and I wanted to relax and hang out with Atticus O'Sullivan and his witty pooch, Oberon. I wanted to be entertained. I also felt like a good laugh.

I decided to take a break from all the doom and gloom and Sturm and Drang and I bought Hexed and Hammered, books 2 and 3 in the trilogy. I knew after enjoying Hounded, the first book, I would enjoy the sequel Hexed (I haven't made it to Hammered yet but I'll bet I'll be there by tomorrow). Hearne did not disappoint. It is great to read all these books back to back because it allows you to really immerse yourself in the world and see how Hearne is developing the characters, or allowing you to see them develop.

Atticus is still dealing with the fall out from the big battle in HOUNDED. As a Druid who draws his power from the earth (the last Druid in the world....thank you very much) he takes the fact that part of earth was scorched both physically and magically during his battle by the demons very seriously and personally. So he is trying to come up with a plan to fix the land. Unfortunately however, every body has their own agendas and it is sucking up his time.

The Polish witch coven is demanding he write a legally binding non aggression pact, something that involves signing in his and their blood and a LOT of billable hours. His lawyers (a werewolf and a vampire) have their own issues. The wolfpack has determined, after all the damage done them during the last battle they were involved in supporting Atticus, that they won’t help him in the future, so his werewolf lawyer buddy is kinda limited as to how far he can go to assist, which is a huge drag as they were a great help in the past. Losing them as part of his back up team has Atticus a bit concerned.

The Vampire lawyer on the other hand is begging Atticus to take on Thor. Given the fact that Atticus has killed two minor dieties, every super natural around has someone high up they want offed and they are all lining up to try to encourage Atticus to help them out, something he wants no part of. However Leif is really putting the pressure on, and Atticus needs Leif, so he may have to agree to take on the bad boy of Aasgard. (I’m DIEING to know why everyone hates Thor.) Atticus knows if he does this, his world will never be the same, and he likes the life he has carved out for himself in Tempe, Arizona.

Atticus does have his new apprentice Granuaile, his best friend and who also happens to be his dog Oberon, the elderly Widow he’s kinda adopted as a grandmother and his new allies the Polish witch chicks on his side. And they are all falling under attack from a group of Nazi witches who blew into town. A cop is starting to ask awkward questions he really shouldn’t, and a Rabbi and a Priest walked into the store, and are causing trouble. I know, sounds like a joke right? Atticus thought so too, but these two are turning out to be trouble.

In addition, about 12 Bacchants have decided to quit bar hopping and causing trouble in Los Vegas and come to Tempe (and if you saw TrueBlood Season 2, you know how much trouble even one Maenad can cause), Coyote (yes THAT Coyote) wants Atticus to take responsibility for what escaped during the big battle in HOUNDED which means another battle with a big nasty. Lastly, it seems that the Morrigan and Brigid have both decided Atticus is a little piece of eye candy they wouldn't kick out of bed for eating crackers, and when two Goddesses decide they want you in their bed, you’re gonna end up dealing with at least one Goddess scorned, which is not good. Not good at all.

There are so many story lines and plots going on, so many myths and various religious characters, in less able hands it could have gotten confusing, but it was easy to follow due to Hearne's excellent wordsmithing.

I do think one or two story lines might have been saved for another book. I loved his interactions with Coyote. I have a crush on that particular mythological character so I'm always excited to see how he is treated fictionally, however I thought that particular part of the book could have been saved for another outing, but it didn't cause any difficulty in following along and frankly the books could be 3 times longer and I'd be perfectly happy.

Where the book really shone for me was in Atticus's negotiating skills and cool head under pressure. Every time he uses the sword of truth to force someone to tell him exactly what their intentions are, I love it. The scenes with Morrigan and then Brigid showing up mere minutes apart, with the same thing in mind were worth the price of the book alone. I just loved the conversation with Brigid. It was hilarious, smart and so well written.

While some of the most humorous dialogue are the interactions between Atticus and Oberon his dog, an explanation for why Oberon is so intelligent would be nice. It wouldn't be difficult to do, just as Atticus has been able to extend Oberon's life expectancy with his magic, there should be some explanation for Oberon’s high IQ, because while we all like to think our dogs are smart, let’s face it....no dog is as smart as Oberon. We’re talking the difference between say a human 2 year old and a horny thirteen year old.

The action is very well written, I find his one liners to be really funny without being annoyingly snarky. Hearne writes great characters that are memorable and each one is unique. The fast pace, brilliant dialogue, creative problem solving, and light touch have all made me continue to just adore Atticus and it was just what I was looking for this weekend. Something light and fun. I'm a bit worried about Atticus though because I think his low profile has just been blown to smithereens and it looks like he is going to be forced to take Thor on, whether he wants to or not, in Hammered, and taking on the Gods of Asgaard is going to create a high body count one way or another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.