Mari's Reviews > House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies

House and Philosophy by Henry Jacoby

Dec 27, 08

Recommended for: House fans and philosophers with extra time on their hands.
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** There is so much great stuff in this book for House fans and those more philosophically inclined. Of course it helps that the inspirational material is nearly endless.

My favorite part is one paragraph and it's corresponding note from Chapter 1: Selfish, Base Animals Crawling Across the Earth:

This deals with House's need for proof (mostly regarding all things, but in this case) the existence of an afterlife. (Season 4: "97 seconds".) [House] arranges to kill himself and is clinically dead for a short time before being brought back. At the end of the episode, he stands over the body of the patient, who has since died, and says, "I'm sorry to say... I told you so [that there is no afterlife.] What would House have said if there were an afterlife and God called him to account? Probably, "You should have given more evidence." (1)

Note: "This is what Bertrand Russell said in a famous anecdote. I imagine House might add, 'As long as we're here, how come bad things happen to puppies? Cameron wants to know.'"

It's for paragraphs like that that I highly recommend this book. Deeply enlightening it is not - but it's an excellent way to get through Sartre, Nietzsche, Zen, Taoism, and the Meaning of Life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House and Philosophy.