Stephen Downie's Reviews > Ashes to Ashes

11952913
Aug 17, 2012

did not like it
Read in August, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Okiedokie, where to begin. I started out this series and enjoyed the first book. Good things there included:
Strong female lead who didn't seem to fall into the damsel in distress category.
Good Pacing.
Decent Plot.
Decent writing.
Alright! I thought to myself. That was a great beginning, I sure hope it continues! It didn't.

Sadly by the third book it has devolved into a story about a girl (Carrie) who can't make up her mind on which one of her two vampire boyfriends to hop into the sack with in a given chapter. Even worse, the male characters who had a genuine spark of personality in the first book have gone from people with their own motivations to portable life support units for their manly bits. Both seem to be so overcome with love for Carrie that she can bounce from bed to bed with a minimum of emotional fuss despite the fact that: 1) she has a telepathic link with both of them so they all know exactly what the other is doing/thinking at any given time. 2) One raped the other and made him kill his own wife. 3)She killed one in a previous book. She literally stabbed him through the heart and killed him. But hey let bygones be bygones. 4) She is partly responsible for the death of Cyrus' first love. 4) She turns Cyrus back into a vampire against his will... I could go on, but I won't. Instead of these little things causing a small bit of friction they all shack up together for easy sexual access. They are good like that. If the sexes in the book were reversed and a 14 year old boy was writing about his sexual vampire fantasy I think it would probably read a lot like this book.

Even worse (yes there is worse), a woman who is suppose to have the brains to become a doctor of medicine consistently makes a number of decisions that include: poor ones, stupid ones, arrogant ones, idiotic ones and borderline evil ones. I don't think I have actually physically cringed or told a book that it is dumb, but I did both with this one.

Plot is pretty much carried by Max and Bella who at least manage to do something throughout the book aside from weave an increasingly moronic soap opera. They are the reason for the single star.

I rarely stop reading a series until I reach the end, and even finishing this book was a chore. I won't be wasting my time with the fourth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes to Ashes.