Graham's Reviews > A Doctor Worth Waiting For

A Doctor Worth Waiting For by Margaret McDonagh

Dec 05, 08

bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2007, read count: 1

In A Doctor Worth Waiting For, a semi-sequel to her first book, The Italian Doctor’s Bride, Margaret McDonagh reintroduces the reader to south-west Scotland and the lives and loves of the doctors working there. A Doctor Worth Waiting For is a standalone book and doesn’t require any priorknowledge of The Italian Doctor’s Bride, but those who have read Margaret McDonagh’s previous Medical Romance will be delighted to see the first book’s hero and heroine, Nic and Hannah, turn up here in minor supporting roles.

I’m pleased to say that Margaret’s second book is even better than her first! When I read The Italian Doctor’s Bride, I didn’t imagine that the author would ever be able to reach the same standards, and the same level of quality, as in her debut work. A Doctor Worth Waiting For is an excellent read which goes far deeper than most category romances – the reader really gets a feel for the central characters, who now feel more ‘real’ than many real-life people I know!

Everything I loved about Margaret’s first book is enhanced here, from the detailed writing to the emotions of the leads. As the heroine, Kate is tortured and disturbed, and the book goes into some very dark places when detailing the horrors of her past. Conor makes for one of the warmest, most instantly likeable fictional heroes I’ve encountered, and the tender romance between the two is utterly engaging.

While the book is very easy to read, obvious care has been taken with the quality of the writing. Paragraphs are complex, conveying plenty of information without overwhelming the reader; as a result, there’s an almost ‘literary’ feel to the writing. Some might scoff at my use of the word ‘literary’ to describe a category romance, but Margaret McDonagh skilfully charts the lives of her characters in the way a modern-day George Fielding might – and I have to say, I much prefer this to something like Middlemarch!

Elsewhere, the medical scenes are as well-handled and expertly researched as always, and the setting of the story is almost a supporting character in itself – it helps that I’ve personally visited some of the locations, like Bruce’s Stone, myself! Complex, believable and nuanced characters bring this tale to life, creating scenes that are unbelievably moving – and even heart-rending in some cases. If you’re looking for a category romance that ticks all of the boxes, then check out A Doctor Worth Waiting For.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Doctor Worth Waiting For.