Lisa's Reviews > Auraria

Auraria by Tim Westover

Sep 21, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads, received
Read from August 27 to September 21, 2012

I received this book today (8/20/12) and will review it as soon as I can read it. Beginning the book on 8/27/12.

Wow it took me forever to get through this book! There are several reasons for this. One of the reasons is the type is very small (probably no more than a typeset of 8), so the 398 page novel would probably be a 600-700 page book. Most importantly, my father was in the hospital for 3 weeks and I was unable to read as much or as often as I normally would.

The book is a set in the 1800's in a small gold town named Auraria. Holtzclaw is sent by his employer Shadburn to Auraria to purchase the entire town so that Shadburn can turn it into a lake resort. When Holtzclaw arrives, he notices things are different than anywhere else in the world. Holtzclaw finds out that things such as moon maidens, will-o-the wisps and Princess Trahlyta. Princess Trahlyta mysteriously shows up in or near water no matter where Holtzclaw travels in Auraria. You will also be introduced to headless ghosts who take the heads of weary travelers if they do not hide their necks and head when traveling at night.

Soon after Holtzclaw arrives, Shadburn calls him back for a meeting. After the meeting Shadburn and Holtzclaw return to Auraria to begin building a dam to make a lake resort town.

The book has many different fables that have been intertwined together creating an unknown world that seems familiar to those of us who have grown up in the South.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Auraria.

09/08/2012 page 77