Andrew's Reviews > Essential Wolverine, Vol. 3

Essential Wolverine, Vol. 3 by Larry Hama

Apr 10, 09

bookshelves: yes-i-m-a-geek

Here, Larry Hama starts digging into Wolverine's past. It was helpful to have read Weapon X prior to this reading as there are some elements of that which keep popping up. There are also some take a break issues, written by other writers, that are mostly out of place and boring. There's also a Hama storyline with Mojo which was really unnecessary. However most of the quest for the past stuff is at least a little entertaining. This book also ends at a weird point: the first issue of an arc, whereas most essentials try to end with an arc. The only other cliffhanger at the end of an Essential I have read still made sense, as it did end one part of the arc and they were going to transition artists. That was also a worthwhile cliffhanger. The one to end this book is... not very tense.

Hama's Wolverine is still the annoying stereotype bad boy taken to its perfect form. Not a deep character to me, a far too idealized image, and not an image worth praise.

On art the two main artists are Marc Silvestri, carrying over from the last essential and Mark Texeira (not the baseball player). Texeira's art is a visually interesting style. Though not my preference in stylized artists, he still engages me more with his art than a lot of the standard comic artists. He also looks good in the black and white of the essential. My main problem with him is the characters are just too big.

Anyways, this essential is actually probably more relevant for the character than the previous two essentials. Not as fun as the Madripoor setting, but oh well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essential Wolverine, Vol. 3.