Ned's Reviews > Armageddon in Retrospect

Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut

Dec 05, 08

As a fan of Kurt Vonnegut for over 40 years I really enjoyed this final book, published posthumously of previously unpublished essays. They are classic Vonnegut, showing the same craftsmanship as his earlier published works. For me, his great talent was leaving the reader unaware of the thought and polish that went into his writing, which often seems on the surface to be just casual story telling.

The forward, offered by his son Mark, revealed that Kurt passed on more than just his genes as he is able mimic his father's colloquial style, setting the reader at ease regarding our shared loss but then able to move forward and enjoy his final work.

About the essays themselves, they are good but not his best (there is a reason they were previously unpublished. But they represent a lifetime of writing. Starting with a letter he wrote home after being released from a prisoner of war camp in WWII until his final essay on Armageddon, this collection gives insight into how those WWII experiences, especially the bombing of Dresden, shaped his adult life, his antiwar activism and his writings. For that reason alone this book is worth reading.

Enjoy!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armageddon in Retrospect.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan I've been wanting to read this for some time. I'm glad you give it a good review. I was worried that Vonnegut's later work may not have been as good as his early stuff, but that seems to be untrue.