Sophie's Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Jan 03, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2007, young-adult, fiction, fantasy, wishlist, read-in-2010, favorites
Read in January, 2010, read count: 2

Moar Eugenides nao... plz?

I think I like this book best of the three because it names all the characters. And there are a lot of named characters. Pretty well-fleshed-out ones, too. I won't say much about the plot because I don't want to spoil for all three books. I will just say that it is awesome. And I can't wait for the fourth book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.

Quotes Sophie Liked

Megan Whalen Turner
“The king lifted a hand to her cheek and kissed her. It was not a kiss between strangers, not even a kiss between a bride and groom. It was a kiss between a man and his wife, and when it was over, the king closed his eyes and rested his forehead in the hollow of the queen's shoulder, like a man seeking respite, like a man reaching home at the end of the day.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“Oh, that," said the king with a shrug. "That isn't your honor, Costis. That's the public perception of your honor. It has nothing to do with anything important, except perhaps for manipulating fools who mistake honor for its bright, shiny trappings. You can always change the perceptions of fools.”

Megan Whalen Turner
“The window opened in the same direction as the king's, and there, summer-bright and framed by the darkness of the stairwell, was the same view. Costis passed it, and then went back up the stairs to look again. There were only the roofs of the lower part of the palace and the town and the city walls. Beyond those were the hills on the far side of the Tustis Valley and the faded blue sky above them. It wasn't what the king saw that was important, it was what he couldn't see when he sat at the window with his face turned toward Eddis.”

01/01/2010 page 84
21.71% "As awesome as I remember it being"
01/01/2010 page 147
37.98% "I think one reason it's the best in the series is it actually names all the characters"