S. J.'s Reviews > The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real

The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real by Margery Williams

Aug 17, 2012

bookshelves: anthropormorphism, beloved-books-of-my-childhood, brilliant-averageness, children-s-books, british-invasion, fantasy, historical-fiction, picture-books, the-shelf-of-awesomeness
Recommended to S. by: Parents
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read in January, 1992 , read count: Multiple

** spoiler alert ** *Infinity Stars*

*The Gush*
This was a big part of my childhood. My parents read it to me thousands of time, then when I could read by myself, I read it a thousand times. I love this story because it is beautiful in its simplicity. The plot could be told in less then three minutes, but the journey through it is the reward.

Characters:
The Velveteen Rabbit is of course the central person. Through him, we meet the others: the boy he loves, the wise rocking horse, real bunnies, and more. Each touch the Rabbit in some way and leave their indelible mark upon him. His quest to be 'real' is simple, painful, and beautiful.

Plot:
The story is simply the Velveteen Rabbit going through hardships and how those effect him as he yearns to be 'real'.

Writing/Illustrations:
The writing is a little old fashioned but very understandable. It is also exquisite. It takes a simple story, uses simple language, and yet is one of the most deep and amazing story I've ever read. There is so much in this short story. The pain of being torn from one you love. How it hurts to be ignored or set on a shelf. The search everyone must make to understand what being 'real' means and how one becomes so. The gaining of wisdom and how that must always come at a cost. The blessing of good friends. And so much more.
This edition is wonderfully illustrated, indeed I've never been able to read the story with the original ones. It's not that they're bad, I just think these help tell the story more than the other. They are simply beautiful and give further depth to the simple words.

*The Rant*
None, except to read this if you have not, no matter your age.

*Conclusion*
READ
(The date I give here is when I think I last read the book. I am unclear however as I have slept since then.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Velveteen Rabbit, Or, How Toys Become Real.