Lesley's Reviews > Letter to My Daughter

Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

I enjoyed reading another Maya Angelou book, though I must admit that this one was a little "fluffier" in some places than expected. Other chapters were very frank and real, especially about her younger years. I was glad to learn a bit more about how she grew up; it made me admire her more. I can understand now why she seems like such a strong person, as this book reveals some of the strong influences in her life. One of my favorite chapters was about her adult life, when she first visited Wake Forest College to give a lecture. She was asked to join in an impromptu student meeting after her lecture, and impressed someone from the admin. so much she was offered a faculty position whenever she wanted it. Later, after her divorce, she methodically whittled down the list of cities where she wanted to settle to write, and ended up in Winston-Salem, and finally on the Wake Forest University faculty with a lifetime appointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to My Daughter.