Judi's Reviews > Déjà Dead

Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: read-in-1998
Read in May, 1998

The jacket cover and all that I read prior to picking up this book compares this writer to Patricia Cornwell. Well, it got my attention and since I had read all of Cornwell's books up to this point, I was happy to give this one a try. The main character, Temperance Brennan, is a forensic anthropologist working as a non-native in the province of Quebec, Canada. Kathy Reichs is herself a forensic anthropologist who works part time in Quebec (and part time in North Carolina). As they say, write what you know!

The story is on par with Cornwell's novel for technical details. If I have to crib her on anything it is that I think that the main character goes out on her own too frequently and does not truly worry about her friends enough. Also, there's a little too much non-cooperation providing motivation for Ms. Brennen to take the (stupid) risks that she does. Well maybe that isn't it either, it's just that not everything hangs together correctly for me. Nonetheless, it is a compelling read and now that she has established some relations, I expect her future novels to be stronger. She is good with descriptions using a technique that lets you visualize a similar face, thing or event-- some are a real chuckle, some a little annoying. (Written in 1998)

Note: Who knew that in later years I would come to love the TV series... but still not like the book series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Déjà Dead.