Barbara's Reviews > Above

Above by Leah Bobet

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: abusive-relationships, bullies, death, fantasy, friendship, ncbla2013
Read in August, 2012

This book requires patience from a reader. The author has created a unique counterpoint to our world in which anyone considered different from the rest of humanity--say, for instance, someone born with the paws of a cat or claws of a tiger--is locked in a hospital and observed. When a young doctor helps a couple of these prisoners escape, they create a sanctuary deep underground, beneath the sewer system, where they live safely for years. The author doesn't provide this backstory right away; instead, the characters reveal bits of it over the course of the book. The story actually begins with Matthew, who loves Ariel, a woman who often transforms into a bee, complete with wings, watching as the place these runaways consider Safe erupts in violence. To escape the killer, he and a handful of others go Above for sanctuary. It is while they are Above that much of the rest of the story is told. In this book's pages, a patient and persistent reader will find much beauty, significance, and relevance to how we treat those who are different from how we define normal. One of the things I liked most about Above was how it forced me to think about how our society treats anyone deemed abnormal. I'm still thinking about that issue even after finishing the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.