Donna's Reviews > The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: 1001-books, historical, political, africa, favorites, contemporary-literature, social-justice, read-in-scotland
Recommended to Donna by: it was on my sister Dionne's bookshelf
Recommended for: fans of character-driven stories and people who believe in equality
Read in June, 2008, read count: 1

This is a book with a powerful message of social justice and global equality. It tells the story of the Price family in the 1950s/60s as the god-fearing patriarch moves his wife and four daughters to the Congo in order to establish a baptist mission.
The novel is told from the point of view of the women of the Price family, each carrying a distinct style and separate personality, at the same as addressing important issues surrounding the topics of religion, international relations, Americanisation, African independence, as well as growing up.
I personally found this book to be interesting (ideologically, philosophically and politically) and exquisitely well-written. Barbara Kingsolver has drawn together an intricate portrait of the Congo which shall stay with me for a long time. A tremendous work of fiction.

QUOTATIONS I LIKED:
"What is the conqueror's wife, if not a conquest herself?"

"I could see that the whole idea and business of Childhood was nothing guaranteed. It seemed to me, in fact, like something more or less invented by white people and stuck onto the front end of grown-up life like a frill on a dress. For the first time ever I felt a stirring of anger against my father for making me a white preacher's child from Georgia."

"In their locked room, these men had put their heads together and proclaimed Patrice Lumumba a danger to the safety of the world. The same Patrice Lumumba, mind you, who washed his face each morning from a dented bowl, relieved himself in a carefully chosen bush, and went out to seek the faces of his nation. Imagine if he could have heard those words - dangerous to the safety of the world! - from a roomful of white men who held in their manicured hands the disposition of armies and atomic bombs, the power to extinguish every life on earth."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poisonwood Bible.