Graham's Reviews > Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis

Sep 08, 15

bookshelves: fantasy, dragonlance
Read in May, 2006, read count: 3

The early 1990s was a great time for me. I was 10/11 years old and I adored everything fantasy: CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (the BBC version) on TV along with the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon and KNIGHTMARE. I'd just finished reading LORD OF THE RINGS and I was eager for more fantasy. So I found the Dragonlance Chronicles and I was hooked - I read loads of them.

In recent years I've been intrigued to find out what I'd think of these books as an adult, so I re-purchased them. Unfortunately, I've been disappointed.

These are kid's books, no two ways about it. They were never designed to be read by adults and as such, elements are lacking. The plot is threadbare, the characters weak. The action is well-written, but it's hard to care for any of the cardboard cut outs, aside from the excellent Raistlin Majere, that is.

Looking at it as an adult, the only fresh thing is the US spin, which throws in some obviously Native American characters (Goldmoon and Riverwind) along with their mythology.

I've got more of these to read, but it's going to take a while. Sometimes kid's books are best left to kids.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

James I was thinking the same thing. I remember loving these books as a kid, and thought I'd try them again. So far, I'm disappointed. The writing is cliché. The character development is very one dimensional. Once I finish, I'll likely give it more stars than it deserves based on sentimentality.

For a youth, worth a read! As an adult, it's hard to get excited about.

Graham So true, James. It's tough, because I REALLY wanted to like it, too.